Apply for a Home
We are a Christian housing ministry dedicated to building homes for families who might not otherwise afford one. We construct the homes by leveraging private donations and volunteer labor, then we sell each home at cost and provides zero interest financing to approved families. A family selected for the program must invest 300 hours of "sweat equity" during the construction of the home and other Habitat projects. We are currently seeking applicants for homes.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation, and we encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin. As a matter of policy, Habitat for Humanity International and its affiliated organizations do not proselytize. This means that Habitat will not offer assistance on the expressed or implied condition that people must either adhere to or convert to a particular faith, or listen and respond to messaging designed to induce conversion to a particular faith.
Homeowner Eligibility Requirements
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible:
- Need affordable, decent housing: Currently living in unaffordable, unsafe, poorly maintained or crowded housing conditions.
- Have a financial need: Not eligible for conventional home financing through a bank.
- Meet financial guidelines: Must have a stable income that will allow the applicant to make monthly mortgage payments, which average $650 per month and pay closing costs (average $1,800). Total family income per year cannot be much more than 65% or less than 40% of the median income for our community as specified here:
|Family Size||Annual income|
|1||$21,354 - $34,631|
|2||$24,331 - $39,656|
|3||$27,422 - $44,558|
|4||$30,457 - $49,493|
|5||$31,745 - $53,443|
|6||$35,323 - $57,392|
|7||$37,756 - $61,343|
|8||$40,190 - $65,551|
- Currently live or work in Rockwall County for at least one year.
- Meet credit rating guidelines average of 550 or higher.
- Physically capable of and willing to complete 300 service hours with Rockwall Habitat for Humanity.
- Other criteria will be considered for potential homeowners not included on this form.
The Rockwall Habitat for Humanity will review an application packet within 30 days of receipt.
The qualification process averages 60 days.
Submit an applicationAll information is considered confidential and is to be used only for family selection. Please call 972-771-6909 to request assistance in completing the application or to ask questions. Completed applications will be reviewed within 30 days of receipt.
Application ReviewYour application will be reviewed by Rockwall Habitat for Humanity's selection committee, and if your family meets the selection criteria, it will proceed to the next step in the process. Families not initially accepted may reapply at a later date.
Background AssessmentOur selection committee will verify employment and other income, verify checking and savings account balances, get a statement from your current and previous landlords, run a credit check, review your credit references, and review your professional references.
Letters of ReferenceYou are required to submit three (3) letters of recommendation: one professional (from a current or prior employer) and two personal (for example: friends, clergy, neighbors, but not any family members).
InterviewsRockwall Habitat for Humanity will arrange to interview you in your home during a convenient time. More than one interview may be required.
Board of Directors ReviewIf the Rockwall Habitat for Humanity's (RHFH) selection committee decides to recommend your application to the RHFH Board of Directors for consideration, the committee will present your application to the board during a regularly scheduled board meeting. You will be notified whether or not your application is approved.